History and Background
Continuing Care Actuaries History
Continuing Care Actuaries (formally CCRC Actuaries) was founded by Dave Bond, F.S.A., F.C.A., M.A.A.A. and Brad Paulis, A.S.A., F.C.A., M.A.A.A. in December 2000. Before forming CCRC Actuaries, Dave and Brad directed the National Long-Term Care practice at Ernst & Young. Continuing Care Actuaries bring a unique blend of experience to our clients having worked at a Big 5 accounting firm, insurance companies, and a CCRC developer. Continuing Care Actuaries currently staffs eleven full-time employees, three of which are credentialed by the Society of Actuaries, the Conference of Consulting Actuaries, and the American Academy of Actuaries.
Continuing Care Retirement Community Background
Continuing Care Actuaries has performed analyses for over 450 CCRC’s, and possess one of the largest databases of CCRC residents with over 600,000 life years of residential and health care experience.
Continuing Care At Home Background
In addition to our work with Life Plan Communities (CCRCs), we have been active in supporting the development of the Continuing Care At Home product. Continuing Care Actuaries has assisted in the development of two of the first four programs and currently work with approximately 80% of the operational programs.
Our services to CCRC and At Home clients include:
- Comprehensive Actuarial Studies including Cash Flows, Contract Pricing, and Actuarial Balance Sheet Analysis as prescribed by Actuarial Standards of Practice #3
- Future Service Obligation Calculations
- Medical Tax Deduction Calculations
- Historical Population & Demographic Analysis
- 20-Year Population Projection and Financial Model
- Projections of Entrance Fees Received and Refunded
- Contract Pricing Analysis for existing and new contract types
- Actuarial projections for community expansions
- LifeCalc Entrance Fee Amortization Software – assists clients in amortizing non-refundable entrance fees, in addition to assisting with resident data collection, population projections, and financial analysis. LifeCalc is currently being used by more than fifty-five CCRCs across the country.
- Examiner Software – an easy-to-use, but highly sophisticated actuarial model designed to help management anticipate future fee subsidies by accurately estimating the risk associated with each applicant to the community. The model can be tailored specifically to the community’s fee structure, contracts, refund agreements, services, and costs. Examiner is currently being used by more than ninety CCRCs across the country.
Services to Self-Insured Health Insurance Entities
Our self-insured clients include governmental entities, employee and retiree organizations, and private employers. In this market, we have developed financial plans both on the short-term and the long-term basis. Our work has included developing effective strategies to respond to changing utilization of components of the health care benefit structure. We have assisted our clients in remaining ahead of evolving health care utilization issues. Our work has included analysis and development of reimbursement systems, as well as projections of the impact of changes in these systems under consideration by our clients. Our client work includes:
- Audit support
- Financial analysis
- Claim reserves
- Retiree group benefit valuations
- Statistical claim calculations